With federal funding from the National Security Education Program of the U.S. Department of Defense, the new UW-Madison Korean Flagship joins the UW-Madison Russian Flagship to provide opportunities for undergraduate students to reach a professional level of competence (ACTFL Superior) in a language critical to national security and economic competitiveness through an intensive program of language and culture study at UW-Madison and overseas.
Students in the Korean Flagship will:
- Reach a professional level of Korean in a prestigious program designed to complement the academic major(s) of their choice.
- Join a supportive community and have a place on campus to call home.
- Study abroad on designated Korean Flagship overseas programs, with scholarships exclusively for Korean Flagship students. The program’s culminating overseas experience is an 11-month capstone overseas program that includes a professional internship in South Korea. (Overseas programs are pending approval.)
- Receive individual and group tutoring in Korean tailored to their needs.
- Distinguish themselves by taking advantage of a unique opportunity: The UW-Madison Korean Flagship is the second such program in the nation and the only one on the U.S. mainland. (The other Korean Flagship is at the University of Hawaii.)
- Become a global professional!
Students currently enrolled in Korean language courses or who have prior knowledge of Korean and could place into a Korean language course next semester can apply by November 15 to begin the program in Spring 2019.
All students who are interested in learning more about the Korean Flagship are warmly invited to come to one of the following information sessions:
- 3:30 pm, Monday, November 5, 1334 Van Hise Hall
- 12:00 pm, Tuesday, November 6, 1334 Van Hise Hall
The Korean Flagship is a collaborative initiative of the Department of Asian Languages and Cultures and the Language Institute, with International Academic Programs, and the Center for East Asian Studies.
Byung-jin Lim, email@example.com, Korean Flagship Director
Dianna Murphy, firstname.lastname@example.org, Korean Flagship Executive Director